You Can Buy a Hacked Credit Card for Only $15, A Verified Binance Account for $410, New Report Shows
Privacy Affairs research into the supply and prices of various goods and services sold on the dark web shows that stealing user sensitive accounts and data has become relatively inexpensive.
- "We have detected no long-term decrease in sales volume as a consequence of law enforcement actions. New communities are quickly organized on new sites or forums."
- "During this reporting period we noted that sellers and buyers preferred to transact more bulk data rather than individual goods (such as ID cards, for example). This could indicate increase profitability of scams, frauds, and other shady activities."
- "Most items and services we track for 3 years saw a significant decrease in pricing. This could mean that law enforcement action did little to reduce the supply of such goods as well as the fact that more people than ever fall victim to cybercriminals."
- "In December 2022, an estimated 7.5 million credit cards were made available on the Dark Web. The average cost of credit card information varies from $10 (in countries such as the U.S., Canada, and Australia) to $240 each (with a card balance)."
|New Payment Processing Services||Avg. Price USD (2023)|
|Revolut verified account (UK, USA)||$1,600|
|Switzerland online banking login||$2,200|
|Luno Account together with a balance of $5,000||$80|
|Chase Bank login||$500|
|Payoneer verified account||$200|
|CitiBank verified account||$200|
|HSBC UK Business account||$4,200|
|Barclays online banking login||$2,100|
- Concerning hacked cryptocurrency exchange accounts, some of the options and their respective prices covered in the report were:
|Hacked Coinbase verified account||$250|
|Kraken verified account||$1,170|
|Binance verified account||$410|
|Crypto.com verified account||$300|
|Blockchain.com verified account||$85|
|Robinhood hacked account||$150|
|Xcoins verified account||$350|
|Cex.io verified account||$250|
|Wirex verified and hacked account||$2,300|
|N26 verified account (Germany)||$2,650|
|Kriptomat.io verified account||$410|
- "Cryptocurrency accounts were the only category that we saw to have experienced an increase [in price]." This is likely due to the decreased overall interest in the market, which in turn leads to fewer crypto trading accounts and wallets were available for hackers to target."
- "Prices of hacked cryptocurrency accounts still remain overall the highest among all hacked online accounts. This indicates that hacking such accounts still remains extremely profitable."
- Aside from bank accounts, the most expensive things on the dark web marketplaces include premium-quality malware ($4,500 per 1,000 installs), physical forged identity documents ($1000-$4000 for EU-issued documents, $200 for US state IDs).
- The least expensive hacked accounts (aside from credit cards) include media and entertainment services, email database dumps, and scans of various documents.
- "Cybercriminals value your data, and stealing your identity or exploiting you is inexpensive."
- "The abundance of purchasable data has led to a bulk sales mentality for dark web customers."
- "The increasing availability of personal information on the Dark Web results in lower costs - and consequently, a higher likelihood - that your accounts will be compromised."