Alexey Pertsev, a Tornado Cash developer arrested in August by Dutch authorities over allegations of facilitating money laundering, is to stay in jail for at least another two months after his appeal was rejected.
An update featuring some of the most highly-requested features, along with bug fixes which bring improved performance and stability to the app.
ZeroSync allows to verify Bitcoin's chain state in an instant. No need to download hundreds of gigabytes of blocks. A tiny cryptographic proof suffices to validate the entire history of transactions and everyone's current balances.
Important news of the week without the bullshit.
This is a big update with dramatic UI changes, new functionality, the release of a brand new feature, and improvements for our power users.
We are supporting USDC with an eye on a number of use cases that make it easy for developers to build on top of Block’s tbDEX protocol and its Web5 decentralized identity platform.
This quarterly free magazine in PDF format allows you to digest all of the information on your time in polished written form. Possessing your own PDF copy of each issue allows offline reading without distraction and easy archiving.
Anyone, anywhere on the Internet, who wants to replace CAPTCHA on their site will be able to call a simple API, without having to be a Cloudflare customer or sending traffic through the Cloudflare global network. Sign up here for free.
A rich resource that helps bitcoin developers support and keep track of Taproot adoption.
It is important to us that the Specter project remains open source. Swan will provide engineering support and some product direction. Specter’s open source desktop project does not, and will not have any default network connections to Swan or customer identification (KYC) features.
These vulnerabilities have now been fixed, and we have not seen evidence of them being exploited in the wild. All of the critical vulnerabilities require cooperation from a malicious homeserver to be exploited.
A Taproot-powered protocol for issuing assets that can be transferred over bitcoin and in the future, the Lightning Network for instant, high volume, low fee transactions.
After a one-time setup on the app users can transfer between lightning wallets and M-Pesa without any further action by the recipient. They can choose to receive bitcoin or local currency.
* When creating new requests, reuse addresses of expired requests (fixes #7927). * Index requests by ID instead of receiving address. This affects the following commands: get_request, get_invoice, list_requests, list_invoices, delete_request, delete_invoice * Trampoline routing: remember routes that have failed. Try other routes instead of systematically raising
Firmware Update for Blockstream's Hardware Wallet.
* This week’s newsletter describes a proposal to allow LN nodes to advertise capacity-dependent feerates and announces a software fork of Bitcoin Core focused on testing major protocol changes on signet. Also included are our regular sections with summaries of popular questions and answers from the Bitcoin Stack Exchange, announcements
As regulators and legislators place even more scrutiny on the Bitcoin economy, Hoseki is proud to support BPI's continued research, education, and advocacy.
Central banks across the world are exploring the possibility of developing their own digital currencies, known as CBDCs. In this whitepaper, the authors make the most comprehensive argument against CBDCs to date: CBDCs will erode the distinction between America and authoritarianism.
The funding round was led by Ten31 and joined by new investors Washington University in St. Louis Endowment, University of Wyoming Endowment, and Susquehanna Investment Group.
The organization is moving part-time developers to full-time, reorganizing leadership for Bitcoin projects, and onboarding new developers into the ecosystem.
BTCPay Server is a self-hosted, open-source bitcoin payment processor. It's secure, private, censorship-resistant and free.
A "senior figure" inside Optus said that an API for an Optus customer identity database was opened to a test network that "happened to have internet access."
According to the FBI “Only those who wish to hide their wealth from the DEA, IRS, or creditors would” rent a box anonymously at U.S. Private Vaults.
Global presence of Bitcoin mining activity. All mining locations detected (n = 6062) are mapped by their unique longitude and latitude coordinates.
Bitmatrix, an automated market maker (AMM) protocol, has released its mainnet beta which will enable bitcoiners to create their own liquidity pools and perform trust minimized swaps on the Liquid Network.
A guide to using Tor if it is actively blocked by your internet provider.
This is a point release with a few bug fixes and build improvements: it's a recommended upgrade from 0.12.0, with no new features.
Signal is currently blocked in Iran. To help people in the country access Signal, consider running a Signal Proxy.
Among Compute North's list of clients are some of the biggest bitcoin mining companies, including Marathon.
Inspired by El Salvador’s Bitcoin Beach, a town in Guatemala is focused on cleaning its lake by diverting used cooking oil to bitcoin miners.
Important news of the week without the bullshit.
BitGo focuses on bitcoin storage options for businesses and institutions.
* Feature: Improve Dev-Console #1850 (k9ert) * Feature: Menu extensions can extend menus #1648 (k9ert) * UIUX: Adding "Open Bitcoin app" verbiage to Ledger Upload Keys page #1868 (wombat6) * UIUX: Better balance display #1841 (relativisticelectron) * UIUX: Do not hide elements by default #1854 (relativisticelectron) * UIUX: Individual HWI progess for Ledger devices #1864 (Manolis
* Existing investors include Singapore’s Temasek, SoftBank’s Vision Fund 2 and Tiger Global. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/21/ftx-in-talks-to-raise-1-billion-at-valuation-of-about-32-billion.html archive: https://archive.ph/psxBw No Bullshit Bitcoin is funded by donations from our audience. Click here to support us.
Valves are an important tool for flow control in fluid or gas networks. We investigate the possibilities to set up valves on the Lightning Network to improve flow control and reduce expected payment failure rates.
The “Augury” platform includes highly sensitive network data that Team Cymru, a private company, is selling to the military. “It’s everything. There’s nothing else to capture except the smell of electricity,” one cybersecurity expert said.
Operating Chief Dave Ripley to succeed co-founder Jesse Powell as chief executive. Mr. Powell will remain on the board as chairman. He plans to stay active in the company, spending his time on product development and industry advocacy.
Coin Control allows you to specify which UTXOs you want to spend in a transaction.
The Bitcoin Design Community is organising a designathon! Imagine a traditional hackathon, but this time focused only on design. Our goal is to motivate designers and builders to get together and collaboratively explore ideas and concepts in and around the bitcoin ecosystem. The designathon will happen in coordination with the
Updates to earning system, new referral system, and the ability to comment on non-podcasting 2.0 podcasts.
As part of the agreement, Seed Group will help CoinCorner expand its operations in the emirates and the wider Middle East, reach the right audience, access top decision-makers in the government as well as private sectors, and market their Bitcoin products and services effectively in the region. CoinCorner, on the
This week’s newsletter summarizes a discussion about using SIGHASH_ANYPREVOUT to emulate aspects of drivechains. Also included are our regular sections describing recent changes to services, client software, and popular Bitcoin infrastructure software.
Fluttermint Mobile can be downloaded as an APK and works as a Lightning wallet that uses e-cash in the background.
* From the 12th October - 28th November makers can accelerate their bitcoin projects through mentorship in design, development, and lightning integration. Forming teams to hack on new or existing projects, makers can show off their progress, activity, and updates as they #BuildInPublic - competing for up to ~$60,000 (3
* All information about the addresses you look up stays on your device. The Spiral server learns nothing about your queries. * Spiral uses fully homomorphic encryption to guarantee your privacy. Read about how FHE works, check out our paper, or read our code for details. https://btc.usespiral.com/ archive: https:
* For users of Bitcoin, its transaction fees represent an unpredictable cost, but a known benefit: global 24/7 digital final settlement of a highly liquid asset. Historically, Bitcoin's transaction fees have been a small part of miners' revenue relative to "minting" new BTC for the ledger, but long term these
* Announcing the creation of our new sister company called Tillitis AB and its upcoming product, the Tillitis Key. * The Tillitis Key can be used for purposes such as logging in to computers and websites or to make digital signatures. * Something that makes the key unique is the fact that both
Named in honor of the great DarthCoin, a very well respected member of the LNbits community who not only has produced lots of great written guides, also tirelessly has helped many, many users with debugging in our groups. Thank you DarthCoin! CORE • Important payment logic fix • pending (stuck) payment fix
U.S. Senator Ron Wyden says his office was informed this summer that Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is building a massive database with content seized from Americans’ cellphones at the border. Without warrants, the agency permits thousands of employees to search the database “for any reason."
Technical analysis of mining behavior exhibited by an entity that is plausibly Satoshi Nakamoto.
Over the past six months, agencies across the government have worked together to develop frameworks and policy recommendations.
Important news of the week without the bullshit.
Fix compatibility issue with LND 0.15.1-beta The legacy Phoenix app on android used bit 50 for the trampoline feature bit, which has since been reused for zeroconf with a dependency on scid_alias. The legacy app now uses bit 148 instead. This fixes an issue that prevented the
“The United States will continue to take strong actions to hold Russia accountable for its war crimes, atrocities and aggression,” said Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen.
Blind patriotism encouraging further centralization of mining in America is a regulatory capture trap.
* Red Dirt Mining is proud to launch The Open Source Mining Calculator - the first bitcoin-denominated, open source mining profitability calculator. Miners can easily view and calculate profitability & cashflow in bitcoin terms. https://reddirtmining.io/calculator No Bullshit Bitcoin is funded by donations from our audience. Click here to support
* The Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) announced sanctions today against ten individuals and two entities affiliated with Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) for their involvement in ransomware attacks. https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues/financial-sanctions/recent-actions/20220914 archive: https://archive.ph/8vWnP No Bullshit Bitcoin is funded
* LNMarkets is a no-kyc bitcoin exchange * Trading limit 5 times bigger: from 2 to 10 million satoshis (0.1 BTC) * Infrastructure is now hosted with Nodl Cloud rather than Amazon * Additional login option with Lightning Node Connect * New languages: Spanish & French * Simple transfers within different LNM accounts with Lightning Address
* Recaps the "Reduce bandwidth during initial headers sync when a block is found" Bitcoin Core PR Review Club Meeting * Covers code changes including: Bitcoin Core #25614, Bitcoin Core #25768, Bitcoin Core #19602, Eclair #2406, Eclair #2190, and Rust Bitcoin #1196 https://bitcoinops.org/en/newsletters/2022/09/14/ archive: https:
* Taro is a proposed protocol that will allow the issuance of digital assets on the Bitcoin blockchain. * Taro assets can be fungible currencies such as stablecoins, or non-fungible, unique tokens such as NFTs or collectibles. * Taro assets can be transferred over the Bitcoin network, or instantly, at low cost and
"Saturated with Messages" API Updates * Support for relaying onion messages has been added via a new OnionMessenger struct when passed as the OnionMessageHandler to a PeerManager. Pre-encoded onion messages can also be sent and received (#1503, #1650, #1652, #1688). * Rate-limiting of outbound gossip syncs has been rewritten to utilize less
* For transactions involving Tornado Cash that were initiated prior to its designation on August 8, 2022 but not completed by the date of designation, U.S. persons or persons conducting transactions within U.S. jurisdiction may request a specific license from OFAC to engage in transactions involving the subject virtual
* The Linux Foundation, a global nonprofit organization enabling innovation through open source, today announced the intention to form the OpenWallet Foundation (OWF), a new collaborative effort to develop open source software to support interoperability for a wide range of wallet use cases. The initiative already benefits from strong support including
* Sum is only a fraction of hundreds of millions siphoned in breach of ‘Axie Infinity’ online videogame this year. * Sky Mavis Ltd., publisher of the game “Axie Infinity,” said in March that hackers had infiltrated part of its Ronin Network. The infiltrators gained access to accounts holding cryptocurrencies and drained
* This crate was designed to hold and reduce the noise of a Bitcoin miner while distributing the heat. As with most of these boxes lately, I have to give credit for the basic design to Steve Barbour (twitter: @SGBarbour). I also pulled ideas from the Home Mining Wizards on telegram.
* The IOU-token represents users’ certain kind of asset held in the assets account of PoolinWallet as well as the mining pool account of PoolinMiningPool. There will be six IOU-tokens issued by PoolinWallet, namely the IOUBTC, IOUETH, IOUUSDT, IOULTC, IOUZEC, and IOUDoge, representing users’ original holdings of BTC, ETH, USDT, LTC,
* By leveraging a network of select digital custodians to safeguard assets, trades will be netted and settled on the blockchain for greater speed and efficiency at lower cost, eliminating the need for expensive bilateral settlement. Customer security and regulatory compliance are also core foundational principles for EDXM. In particular, it
* He pleaded guilty on Monday to a wire fraud conspiracy charge, in what U.S. prosecutors have called the first insider trading case involving cryptocurrency. * Nikhil Wahi, 26, admitted during a virtual court hearing before U.S. District Judge Loretta Preska in Manhattan that he made trades based on confidential
* the first bitcoin hardware available for purchase at a major retailer with cash * the ability to purchase devices locally with cash helps mitigate the privacy risks inherent with ordering devices online and having them shipped to an address associated with the user * ledger and other manufacturers have been hit with
* The decision by the Geneva-based nonprofit was long sought by advocates of tighter gun regulation, such as U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren and other Democrats including New York City Mayor Eric Adams. * It clears the way for banks that process gun retailers' payments to decide whether to assign the new
* better YouTube battery: we now load the lightning information also from the channel description * add tipping support on SoundCloud @im-adithya (#1364) * support for the Tor Browser: when Alby is used with the Tor Browser or Tor running then connections to Tor nodes just work @bumi (#1397) * more descriptive unlock screen
* On March 9, 2022, President Biden signed Executive Order 14067: “Ensuring Responsible Development of Digital Assets,”1 to support responsible digital asset development, in line with our climate change objectives, and for the benefit of everyone in America. The President directed the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy
Important news of the week without the bullshit.
* Tornado Cash is an open source piece of software running on the Ethereum blockchain that preserves privacy by allowing users to deposit assets from one crypto address and withdraw them using a different crypto address. * The problem here is twofold: (1) there are legitimate applications for this type of technology
* Insider profiled Jay-Z and Jack Dorsey's Bitcoin Academy at the conclusion of its program for Marcy Houses in Brooklyn. * At the end of the courses on Wednesday, Marcy residents who enrolled in the Academy and opted into a grant each received around $1,000 in bitcoin. https://www.businessinsider.com/
* iOS and Android * Hot on Fountain: Discover the most supported shows and episodes, as well as the biggest boosts. * New Lightning Podcasts: Discover shows that have recently been added to the Lightning Network. * Faster boosts. * Faster timestamp clipping. * Tweaked the way that referrals work on Fountain so that when your
* On September 5, Hopkins announced via his Twitter account that he would be reporting to the Beaumont Federal Correctional Institute “for the crime of selling #Bitcoin a few years ago.” * In 2019, the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), a federal bureau of the U.S. Department of the Treasury, published
* When war is waged, the State takes priority. Regardless of whatever the pre-war legal norms were, during wartime, whatever the State needs, the State takes. And because the State must have what it needs to wage war, the private sector is typically crowded out of a wide range of goods
* Michael Peterson, the founder of Bitcoin Beach, the circular Bitcoin economy that inspired El Salvador President Nayib Bukele to adopt bitcoin nationally, told Bitcoin Magazine that this is “all about perspective.” * “Most negative stories claim [Bitcoin payments adoption] is about 20% and paint that as failure. If a country outside
* Bitcoin Core #25717 adds a “Headers Presync” step during Initial Block Download (IBD) to help prevent Denial of Service (DoS) attacks and step towards removing checkpoints. Nodes use the pre-sync phase to verify that a peer’s headers chain has sufficient work before storing them permanently. * Bitcoin Core #25355 adds
* Blockchain systems based on a reusable resource, such as proof-of-stake (PoS), provide weaker security guarantees than those based on proof-of-work. Specifically, they are vulnerable to long-range attacks, where an adversary can corrupt prior participants in order to rewrite the full history of the chain. To prevent this attack on a
* Largest contribution of $100,000 goes to BTCPay Server, an open-source bitcoin payments processor. * Two donations of $50,000 each will be allocated to Jon Atak and Josh Kitman. Atak is a core developer continuously reviewing and working to improve Bitcoin, while Kitman is working on Fedimint, a Chaumian e-cash
* Poolin' operators have announced zero fees for all users from September 8th to December 7th and a change from FPPS to PPLNS for bitcoin payout calculation. * They also plan to extend the zero fee period to a full year for miners who choose to hold a larger balance (more than
* “It’s targeting assets, but it’s also providing that valuable, investigative tracing capability and lens for all of our commands across all of our businesses, whether they’re national security-related, child protection, cyber – or the ability to trace cryptocurrency transactions across the relevant blockchains is really, really important.” * AFP
* The Bank of Russia and the country’s Ministry of Finance have reconsidered their positions toward cryptocurrency, acknowledging it to be necessary to legalize the use of cryptocurrencies in cross-border settlements, per a report by local news outlet TASS. * The move comes as Russia dabbles on how to best regulate
Table of Contents 1. Overflow 2. Chaincase Closed 3. The Fog of Analysis 4. OFAC Sanctions Tornado Cash OVERFLOW This section is for stories that would have been included for the months of May, June, and July: * Financial Cryptography and Data Security 2022 * ZK-Rollup Research Fellowship Update * JoinMarket Adds Onion-Based
* disclosures included names, contact information and financial information about income https://www.marketwatch.com/story/irs-says-it-exposed-some-confidential-taxpayer-data-on-website-11662148381 archive: https://archive.ph/v4B1X
New Features: * Reproducible builds #1055 Enhancements: * Android: Update mascot splash images #1057 Bug Fixes: * Google Play: Don't require users to have NFC to install #1047 * Fix display of Mortal sponsors #1058 iOS TestFlight Android APK Android APK Signature Android APK Clearsign Signature PGP Key https://github.com/ZeusLN/zeus/releases/
* The Indian agency overseeing computer security will soon require VPN operators in India to collect information such as customer’s names, email addresses and the IP addresses they use to connect to the internet. Providers must maintain the data for at least five years and furnish the information to authorities
* Bitcoin mining possesses a combination of properties that makes it a uniquely flexible energy consumer. This flexibility allows bitcoin miners to provide positive externalities to various energy systems globally, including strengthening vulnerable electricity grids, improving the economics of renewable energy, mitigating natural gas flaring, and lowering heating costs by repurposing
* Police have used “Fog Reveal” to search hundreds of billions of records from 250 million mobile devices, and harnessed the data to create location analyses known among law enforcement as “patterns of life.” * Sold by Virginia-based Fog Data Science LLC, Fog Reveal has been used since at least 2018 in
Important news of the week without the bullshit.
* Today, we’re suing Michael Saylor - a billionaire tech executive who has lived in the District for more than a decade but has never paid any DC income taxes - for tax fraud. * We’re also suing his company, MicroStrategy, for conspiring to help him evade taxes he legally
* Can be accessed via the hosted mempool.space instance or self hosted using your own node. https://mempool.space/lightning
* Wallet label export format: Craig Raw posted to the Bitcoin-Dev mailing list a proposed BIP to standardize the format wallets use to export labels for their addresses and transactions. A standardized export format could in theory allow two pieces of wallet software that used the same BIP32 account hierarchy to
* btcjson: Update WalletCreateFundedPsbtOpts.FeeRate type by @gnasr in #1729 * rpcserverhelp: Remove extra period for gettxout--synopsis by @kcalvinalvin in #1733 * mempool: export isDust for use in other projects by @Crypt-iQ in #1739 * Switch irc to libera.chat by @jcvernaleo in #1725 * rpcclient: Export symbols needed for custom commands by @JeremyRand in
* zero conf channels * scid alisases (random scid values in the invoice) * switches to using taproot addresses everywhere applicable by default * an optional database migration that can potential reclaim GBs of disk space for old or large lnd nodes https://github.com/lightningnetwork/lnd/releases/tag/v0.15.1-beta
* Representing one of the biggest known data security lapses of the year by scale, second to a massive data leak of 1 billion records from a Shanghai police database in June. * Exposed data belongs to a tech company called Xinai Electronics. * The company builds systems for controlling access for people
* From the four types of processors that we initially considered we primarily focused on three options: Secure Element (SE), System on Chip (SoC), and Microcontroller (MCU). * While we are lucky to have a silicon design team here at Block that could build a custom chip for this product, these weren’
* Iran passed an act which enables the use of bitcoin and cryptocurrency payments for imports through a comprehensive legal framework, per a report from local news outlet Tasnim. * Iranian Minister of Industry, Mine and Trade Reza Fatemi Amin revealed that the recently passed law defines regulations on cryptocurrencies, addresses supply
Self Sovereign Identity (SSI) is an umbrella term well-detailed by Christopher Allen, and inspired by many in the Identity community before him, in his 2016 blog post: The Path to Self-Sovereign Identity, which identifies Ten Principles of Self-Sovereign Identity: 1. Existence. Users must have an independent existence. 2. Control. Users
* Wars cannot be fought with supply chains that crisscross a globalized world, where production happens on faraway, little islands in the South China Sea, from where chips can be transported only if airspaces and straits remain open... * Global supply chains work only in peacetime, but not when the world is
* This is a notable reworking of the tumbler algorithm, mostly motivated by finding an error which was causing failures for people that tried to use more than the default number of mixdepths (0-4). The tumbler is now able to work with the standard 5 mixdepths, even if you want to
* The accelerator is geared toward individual founders and small teams, developers working on Lightning, Taro and covenants, and pre-seed, seed, series A companies. Transportation and lodging will be provided for participants from anywhere in the world. * The program will be run in eight-week cohorts. There will be 8-12 teams per
Important news of the week without the bullshit.
* Skip Tor * Be Mindful of Your Closing Costs * Routing Fees vs Liquidity Sales * On-Chain vs In-Channel Liquidity https://basicbitch.software/posts/2022-08-24-unscientific-liquidity-guide.html archive: https://archive.ph/5D2yV
* OFAC has not indicated that a stablecoin issuer is expected to freeze secondary market addresses that are published on OFAC’s SDN List or that are operated by persons and entities that have been sanctioned by OFAC. Further, no US law enforcement agency or regulator has made such a request
* “Tether has not been contacted by U.S. officials or law enforcement with a request” to freeze transactions with Tornado Cash, Tether’s chief technology officer, Paolo Ardoino, said in a statement, adding that the company “normally complies with requests from U.S. authorities.” * It is not clear whether Tether
* guide about channel jamming attacks * updates to a silent payments PR * changes to services & client software * adds a silent payments topic https://bitcoinops.org/en/newsletters/2022/08/24/ archive: https://archive.ph/usjJz
* Incentivize the research, development, and vetting of Bitcoin Improvement Proposals by implementing a system for crowdsourcing tax-deductible bug bounties https://bipbounty.org/ archive: https://archive.ph/dJSRU
* Taro is a new protocol being developed at Lightning Labs that promises to enable creation and transfer of digital assets on the Bitcoin blockchain and specifically on the Lightning Network. * Any protocol that requires a bitcoin transaction to move another asset will be inherently limited by the block space market.
* Intel would fund 51% of the cost of building new chip-making facilities in Chandler, Ariz., and will have a controlling stake in the financing vehicle that would own the new factories, Intel Chief Financial Officer David Zinsner said. Brookfield will own the remainder of the equity and the companies will
* "The growing adoption of decentralized technology will certainly raise new challenges for OFAC. Nonetheless, technology is neutral and the expectation of privacy is normal." https://nitter.net/RepTomEmmer/status/1562084891247902721 archive: https://archive.ph/df8dE
* class-action lawsuit is asking for $5 million in damages from Coinbase over the exchange’s propensity to crash during market volatility https://www.theblock.co/post/165003/coinbase-faces-class-action-for-crashing-during-volatility-listing-securities archive: https://archive.ph/4AG8v
* The Fedimint open-source project, so far in 2022, has attracted many new contributors leading to an all-time high in project activity * Lightning has been integrated * Fedi has been founded https://blog.blockstream.com/fedimint-update/ archive: https://archive.ph/M0CP3
* Peiter "Mudge" Zatko * a chaotic and reckless environment at a mismanaged company that allows too many of its staff access to the platform's central controls and most sensitive information without adequate oversight https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/23/tech/twitter-whistleblower-peiter-zatko-security archive: https://archive.ph/QuRSG
* 38 members, including: Anchorage Digital, Binance, bitFlyer, BitGo, Bittrex, BlockFi, Circle, Coinbase, Crypto(.)com, Fidelity Digital Assetsˢᵐ, Gemini, Kraken, Nexo, Paxos, Prime Trust, Robinhood, sFOX, Shakepay https://blog.coinbase.com/paypal-joins-the-trust-travel-rule-solution-10ac8e6e19ac archive: https://archive.ph/cqLaU
* operated by opensats * will support hodlonaut and other open source contributors facing lawsuits https://defendingbtc.com archive: https://archive.ph/mkvoS
* for false and misleading claims https://www.fdic.gov/news/press-releases/2022/ftx-harrison-letter.pdf
* retailers Techno Їzhak and Stylus now accept bitcoin online and in-store https://bitcoinmagazine.com/business/two-large-ukrainian-tech-retailers-now-accept-bitcoin archive: https://archive.ph/KQqMQ
* total assets amount to at least US$ 66,409,619,424 * total liabilities amount to US$66,218,725,778 https://tether.to/en/tether-releases-independent-auditor-report-from-top-5-accounting-firm-bdo-reinforcing-its-dedication-to-transparency-and-revealing-another-major-cut-to-commercial-paper-holdings/ archive: https://archive.ph/70taO
* On September 12, 2022, a seven-day trial will begin in Oslo, Norway between Craig Wright and the pseudonymous Bitcoiner, hodlonaut. https://bitcoinmagazine.com/culture/timeline-of-hodlonaut-craig-wright-case archive: https://archive.ph/hFdrn
* the costs and impacts of jamming * potential solutions https://jamming-dev.github.io/book/about.html archive: https://archive.ph/qENv7
* provides the Igbaruku village with clean water, where the community previously had to travel miles to reach a contaminated water source https://bitcoinmagazine.com/business/built-with-bitcoin-completes-water-well-project-in-igbaruku-nigeria archive: https://archive.ph/78Mxv
* data leaves the iOS device outside of the VPN tunnel * apple has allegedly been aware of the issue for years https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/08/ios-vpns-still-leak-traffic-more-than-2-years-later-researcher-claims/ archive: https://archive.ph/yxgDG https://www.michaelhorowitz.com/VPNs.on.iOS.are.scam.php archive: https://archive.ph/JYlwT
* BLS signatures could be used to improve DLCs without consensus changes * Rust Bitcoin v0.29 and Core Lightning v0.12.0rc2 https://bitcoinops.org/en/newsletters/2022/08/17/ archive: https://archive.ph/MSBPH
* modeled after Bitcoin Beach, a South African township attests to the opportunities of a bootstrapped bitcoin economy https://bitcoinmagazine.com/culture/bitcoin-ekasi-township-one-year-later archive: https://archive.ph/WszFL
* by treating autonomous code as a “person” OFAC exceeds its statutory authority https://www.coincenter.org/analysis-what-is-and-what-is-not-a-sanctionable-entity-in-the-tornado-cash-case/ archive: https://archive.ph/mig2M
* Bitmain and Antpool will provide proprietary data to the lender in order to evaluate risk https://bitcoinmagazine.com/business/bitmain-antpool-antalpha-offer-bitcoin-mining-industry-lifeline archive: https://archive.ph/uLI7V
* rule will ban the export of two ultra-wide bandgap semiconductor materials, as well as some types of electronic computer-aided design (ECAD) technology and pressure gain combustion (PGC) technology https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/15/us_bans_3nm_exports/ archive: https://archive.ph/x7ayT
* wiping out $200 million worth of fines from a major location-data selling scandal https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7gb9y/new-us-privacy-law-may-give-telecoms-free-pass-on-dollar200-million-fines archive: https://archive.ph/2s4dx
https://www.fiod.nl/arrest-of-suspected-developer-of-tornado-cash/ archive: https://archive.ph/u2Sv5
* leaked data includes names, emails, phone numbers, shipping and billing addresses, and product(s) ordered https://nitter.net/CasaHODL/status/1558104064717737987 archive: https://archive.ph/TgZPZ
* will train and fund open source developers to work on Bitcoin and the Lightning Network https://medium.com/vinteum-org/announcing-vinteum-supporting-bitcoin-development-in-brazil-bb74559ef164 archive: https://archive.ph/1jyRb
* offers customers 'direct bitcoin exposure' * blackrock is the largest asset manager in the world with over $10 trillion under management https://www.blackrock.com/institutions/en-us/insights/bitcoin-private-trust archive: https://archive.ph/9c08F
* "As we continue building our bitcoin wallet, we’re excited about ways we can make self-custody more accessible to a wider audience, especially by finding easy ways to recover when something goes wrong." https://wallet.build/losing-your-keys-without-losing-your-coins archive: https://archive.ph/mzBxR
* first name, email, IP-based geolocation data of customers stolen https://www.klaviyo.com/blog/august-2022-security-incident archive: https://archive.ph/r8O31
* funded and led by the Trezor team https://bitcoinmagazine.com/business/tropic-square-launches-open-source-chip-prototype-for-bitcoin-hardware archive: https://archive.ph/4C6NV
* Motiv provides educational resources teaching underdeveloped communities how to use bitcoin to create their own economies * The region has 80% smartphone penetration, making room for bitcoin adoption https://bitcoinmagazine.com/business/motiv-launches-16-bitcoin-economies-in-peru archive: https://archive.ph/uYBGw
* applies to funds with more than $500M of net assets https://www.wsj.com/articles/regulators-weigh-asking-hedge-funds-to-report-crypto-exposure-11660140000 archive: https://archive.ph/BvxlW
* lowering the default tx relay feerate * "Decouple validation cache initialization from ArgsManager" Review Club https://bitcoinops.org/en/newsletters/2022/08/10/ archive: https://archive.ph/FoSfB
* with the click of one button, all users running a Voltage node may claim 500k sats of inbound liquidity from the main Voltage node https://voltage.cloud/blog/feature-updates/effortless-inbound-channel-opening-for-voltage-nodes/ archive: https://archive.ph/6pRN2
* Twilio handles communications for 150k+ corporate clients including Facebook and Uber * Data collected by Twilio includes addresses, payment details, IP addresses, and in some cases proof of identity https://techcrunch.com/2022/08/08/twilio-breach-customer-data/ archive: https://archive.ph/eFvWr
* sanctioned Tornado Cash smart contract is a tool, not a person https://www.coincenter.org/u-s-treasury-sanction-of-privacy-tools-places-sweeping-restrictions-on-all-americans/ archive: https://archive.ph/jVGAd
* the move follows the ethereum privacy tool being added to the US sanctions list earlier today https://nitter.net/semenov_roman_/status/1556717890308653059 archive: https://archive.ph/tXDBr
https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues/financial-sanctions/recent-actions/20220808 archive: https://archive.ph/m7RUn
No sponsors. No ads. No paywalls. No clickbait. 100% community funded. Our full archives are searchable without an account. We rely on your support: https://btcpay0.voltageapp.io/apps/3aEXTV3jY4s427woxTQjPNfR646H
* after more than five years of litigation, Russian national Alexander Vinnik was extradited from Greece yesterday https://darknetlive.com/post/btc-e-owner-extradited-to-united-states/ archive: https://archive.ph/JpMCA
* why value4value is not sound https://fiatjaf.com/8e10f738.html archive: https://archive.ph/VUW7I
* using patterns to remember bitcoin seed phrases to move across borders without being detected https://bitcoinmagazine.com/technical/border-wallets-help-users-memorize-bitcoin-seed-phrases archive: https://archive.ph/LXjlR