A Technical Walkthrough of Hash Time Locked Contracts and Lightning Channel Operations
Lightning Labs' Elle Mouton walks through the mechanics of hash time locked contracts and lightning channel operations.
- "This post will walk through the different operations of a Lightning channel by following a long-running example with plenty of explanatory diagrams."
- "First, we explore how Hash Time Locked Contracts (HTLCs) are added to a channel and how channel peers commit to a new state including these HTLCs."
- "Next, we discuss how a channel’s normal flow is re-established after a disconnection."
- "And finally, we finish with how a cooperative channel closure happens."
- "These topics are all covered in Bolt 2 for those interested in learning more."
- "Note that some of these operations will change with Taproot channels, which will be detailed in a future post."
Full Blog Post