GrapheneOS v2023051600 Released: Contact Scopes
GrapheneOS is an Android-based, open-source, privacy and security-focused mobile operating system.
- "Our new Contact Scopes feature is now available in the Alpha channel. It provides a way to avoid granting the Contacts permission for apps requiring it. It's similar to our Storage Scopes feature replacing needing any of the media/storage permissions."
- "We published experimental support for the Pixel 7a within 2 days of it launching. Experimental tag was dropped shortly after on May 14th. This is the first production release supporting and will hopefully make it to stable channel, as long as nothing is wrong with Contact Scopes."
- "We also plan to replace the need to grant the Camera and Microphone permissions. Our Sensors permission already largely avoids compatibility issues to the extent possible since zeroed data is returned. Network permission similarly pretends that the network is down when revoked."
- "There's already a standard Mock Location feature and we'll be providing a non-developer interface for using it along with providing similar built-in functionality for Camera and Microphone. We'd also like to split the Camera permission for front and rear cameras. Steady progress."
- TP1A.221005.002.B2.2023051600 (Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL) — extended support release for legacy devices with frozen 2022-11-01 patch level
- TQ2A.230505.002.2023051600 (Pixel 4a, Pixel 4a (5G), Pixel 5, Pixel 5a, Pixel 6, Pixel 6 Pro, Pixel 6a, Pixel 7, Pixel 7 Pro, emulator, generic, other targets)
- TQ2A.230505.002.2023051600 (Pixel 7a)
Changes since the 2023050500 release:
- add initial Contact Scopes feature as an alternative to granting the Contacts permission
- improve Storage Scopes performance and robustness
- improve GrapheneOS package state infrastructure
- add production ready Pixel 7a support
- Settings: fix obtaining maximum peak refresh rate for smooth display field for devices without smooth display enabled by default (Pixel 7a)
- factory images flash-all script: raise minimum fastboot version for Windows to 33.0.3 too
- factory images flash-all script: add device model check to Windows too
- carriersettings-extractor: drop unused android-prepare-vendor support (all supported devices use adevtool)
- enable non-flattened APEX modules for all targets (previously only enabled for 6th/7th generation Pixels which have hard dependencies on it)
- extend making userspace function pointer tables read-only
- kernel (Pixel 6, Pixel 6 Pro, Pixel 6a, Pixel 7, Pixel 7 Pro, Pixel 7a, Generic 5.10): update to latest GKI LTS branch revision including update to 5.10.178
- Auditor: update to version 70
- GmsCompatConfig: update to version 52