North Carolina County Bans Commercial Bitcoin Mining For A Year
Buncombe County approved a one year moratorium on bitcoin mining in order to craft regulations for special land use.
- "The Buncombe County Board of Commissioners is moving forward with a moratorium on cryptocurrency mining."
- "Commissioners approved the one-year ban after holding a public hearing during their meeting on May 2."
- The moratorium passed unanimously despite local Bitcoiners coming together to voice their concerns, according to Bitcoin Magazine.
- "The County’s current ordinances do not define cryptocurrency mining as a specific use."
- "Cryptocurrency mining operations can negatively affect surrounding neighborhoods due to excessive energy use, e-waste, pollution, and noise."
- "The temporary pause will help protect the public interest until regulations regarding cryptocurrency mining are adopted. The one-year ban is effective immediately through May 1, 2024."
- "You can read the ordinance here."
Buncombe Country Announcement / Archive
Bitcoin Magazine Article / Archive