- "The August 2023 release has such an overwhelming array of changes we are splitting the release announcement into three separate blog posts: User Experience, Developer Experience, and Experimental Features. The next two will be shared tomorrow and the following day."
- "Since 23.05, we've had 660 commits by 37 authors in 104 days!"
- "For a list of all changes, please see the changelog."
Highlights for Users
- Several pay plugin improvements for better payment reliability.
setconfigcommand to change config lines dynamically without node restart: limited now, but more coming in future.
- BIP-93 seed backup support thanks to @adi2011's Summer of Bitcoin project.
- @Lagrang3 (under a grant from BuildOnLayer2) implemented Pickhardt Payment in a new experimental
renepayplugin (and corresponding
renepaycommand) offers a much more sophisticated method of making payments (and much more experimental!).
Highlights for the Network
ignorefeelimitssetting for getting fee disagreements unstuck.
- Taproot address support: now the default for change addresses.
- Preemptive failure of incoming HTLCs if the outgoing is stuck due to high fees, to avoid channel loss.
- Dual-funding has been tweaked to the latest spec, but it's still experimental.
- The new
experimental-splicingoption implements the new splicing draft to move funds in and out of live channels.
Highlights for Developers
- A new
invoices, along with
listinvoicesallowing ordering and pagination (with more commands to come!)
- pay supports self-payment: you can pay your own invoices.
- pay int a bolt11 with a description hash without providing a description has been temporarily undeprecated (but descriptions now work properly with \ in them now!).
- Experimental builds are no longer required: all experimental features are now explicit runtime options.
- User-defined tracepoints have been added to the a few paths, to help with tracing bottlenecks in production systems.
Subscribe or bookmark Blockstream's Lightning blog to stay updated.