Bitcoin Legal Defense Fund Is Backing 13 Bitcoin Developers Fighting CSW
The Bitcoin Legal Defense Fund was founded in 2021 as a non-profit foundation to support Bitcoin developers and protect the Bitcoin ecosystem.
- "Our first initiative was to take over coordinating the defense of a dozen Bitcoin developers who are being sued personally by “Tulip Trading Ltd.”, a Seychelles-based holding company created by Craig S. Wright."
- "As its second initiative, the BLDF has recently taken on the defense of over a dozen Bitcoin developers who are being sued personally by “Craig S. Wright, Wright International & Others”."
"We believe that these lawsuits are frivolous, but we still have to oppose them vigorously … fighting for the right of developers to create free and open-source software without fear of legal retaliation,” said Jess Jonas, the Chief Legal Officer of the Bitcoin Legal Defense Fund.
- "Should the UK courts rule in Tulip Trading’s favor, open-source developers could be considered fiduciaries to users of software that they have contributed to, even in projects without any formal assumption of duty or compensation for costs and associated risks."
"The outcomes of these cases are important for everyone, even those who may not be interested in Bitcoin, because these lawsuits could have serious detrimental effects on open-source development writ large, which will negatively impact our lives in ways we may not even realize until it’s too late," Jack Dorsey, CEO of Block and co-founder of the Bitcoin Legal Defense Fund, said.
- "Alex Morcos, the co-founder of Chaincode Labs and the Bitcoin Legal Defense Fund, said, "the Tulip Trading case threatens not only the MIT License but also the very notion of freedom of speech.""
- Anyone can contribute to Bitcoin Legal Defense Fund here.